An excellent opportunity has arisen for an accomplished herdsperson to take control of a progressive and increasingly well invested unit located between Shepton Mallet and Frome in Somerset. The 285-cow herd is cubicle housed, TMR fed with paddock grazing in season, and milked through a well maintained 30/30 Fullwood parlour. The herd is transitioning to autumn block from AYR with replacements being reared in house with an increased focus on age at 1st calving and heifer genetics.
The role will focus on the dairy with milking, herd health & welfare and record keeping being the key aspects. Reporting directly to the active farmer, you will be able to demonstrate that you are a team player with a can do attitude and have experience in a similar role. Alongside the farm owner and other members of the team an opportunity to work directly with breeding and nutrition specialists is encouraged.
In return we offer a highly competitive salary, regular training and scheduled time off. Cottage Accommodation is provided in close proximity to the farm.
Specific Job Responsibilities are noted below:
1. To take management responsibility for the dairy operation at Green Farm.
2. Liaison with owner, veterinary services, associated companies & on-farm colleagues to ensure welfare, high performance and standards are achieved and maintained.
3. To regularly milk the herd at such times as are agreed with the owner
4. To monitor the performance of each cow according to authenticated milk recording rules after which to take appropriate action according to results
5. To record all services, calvings & to report any cows failing to stand or any health issues
6. To influence and thereafter to use all reasonable endeavors in assisting the owner and other key stakeholders in the implementation of the breeding policy
7. To calve down the herd, including heifer replacements, ensuring where practicable calves receive their full allocation of colostrum within 12 hours of birth, and are tagged and recorded as soon as possible. Passports to be ordered as soon as possible after birth
8. To be responsible, where appropriate, for all herd health and welfare, including but not limited to any requirements for farm assurance scheme
9. To regularly maintain all statutory records as required by farm policy
10. To utilize & analyse existing dairy software to make informed decisions regarding cow health and welfare
11. To be in attendance at all veterinary visits, routine & otherwise
12. To carry out all minor veterinary tasks including regular foot trimming, vaccinations including bolussing and routine injections/blood testing
13. To maintain on a regular basis, good, clean working order, according to accepted safety standards machinery and plant used in the execution of obligations where required arranging for outside contractors to service and repair machinery in consultation with the owner
14. To take accountability for the implementation of the Green Farm vaccination protocol
15. Where opportunities arise and where applicable attend training events and industry meetings. Self-learning is openly encouraged at Green Farm
16. To volunteer expert views and opinions in order to achieve continuous improvements on-farm, in particular in the transition from AYR to autumn block system. Where required be available to support in the implementation of said improvements
17. To re-evaluate & improve current on-farm system and procedures at Green Farm
18. Play a major role in regular cost reviews & budgeting with key stakeholders
19. To have strong values, a Can-Do attitude with a desire to learn and improve ones own knowledge
Finish: Not Specified
3 bedroom cottage will come with the role which is on farm