We are seeking an experienced Herdsman for a 300 cow organic dairy in the Cotswolds, working as part of a team of four. Cows are grazed for up to nine months of the year and over wintered on an outdoor feed pad. Cows are milked through a modern 20/40 Waikato herringbone parlour. The herd is made up of crossbred cows yielding around 5,500 litres. We have an even split of spring and autumn block calving. The farm has undergone a period of significant investment including fencing, water infrastructure and plans for a second outdoor pad to enable all cows to be off the land during the winter months.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Grassland and grazing management/feed budgeting
- Milking, heat detection and AI
- Calving and overseeing calf rearing
- Implementing herd health plan
- Keep records of all purchases and liaise with farm secretary
- Keep detailed records of all farm events
- Knowledge of grassland/grazing management essential
- Strong knowledge of fertility management and AI experience required
- Have the ability to maintain high standards of animal health and welfare
- Ideally have organic farming experience (not essential)
A very competitive employment package is available to include regular time off and generous holiday entitlement.
Finish: Not Specified
A recently renovated, detached three bedroom cottage on the farm within walking distance of the dairy. There is a good choice of local primary and secondary schools.
Full UK Driving Licence