We currently have an excellent opportunity for an experienced skilled hands on farmer/foreman. This is a long term, full time, permanent opportunity. The role will include all aspects of animal husbandry and running the day to day livestock activity. We produce 30 finished cattle (Angus x Red Poll), 200 lambs from Aberfield Llyen flock, run 10 sows and boar producing 200 bacon pigs, 600 laying hens, 130 turkeys, geese, ducks as well as animal displays of alpaca's. goats and small animals. The farm is 170 acres and includes 70 acres of woodland and orchards, soft fruit and horticulture crops as well as 100 acres of grassland.
We are a very mixed farm, social care & education programmes are at the heart of everything we do, providing training and work experience for people with learning disabilities and/or mental health issues and offering educational trips, internships and programmes to local schools and colleges. Our Co-farmers work with our experienced staff in small mixed ability teams in a variety of jobs to suit individual interests, needs and abilities, contributing to the upkeep and maintenance of the farm.
We have visitors and campers and as well as a farm trail offer animal experiences such as goat walking and egg collecting. We run our own butchery, poultry slaughter and are growing and producing every fruit, vegetable and cut of meat that we can to then sell through our onsite Cafe, Jolly Waggoner Pub, Farm Shop and food box delivery service. We also run Aldenham Country Park about 20 miles away near Elstree. As well as a core team of full and part-time staff, we rely on the support and generosity of corporate partners, interns and volunteers to help with the work that we do. Our enterprises are Community Interest Companies.
Working Farm Manager Role Requirements
- At least 5 years relevant experience with all aspects of Sheep and preferably Cattle. Free range Pig, Poultry and other animal experience would be a benefit too.
- Hands on role working outside in all weathers with the assistance of co-farmers, volunteers and interns.
- Ability to attend to basic maintenance of water, fencing and outdoor housing. Practical wisdom is important.
- Ability to keep records and necessary paperwork, movement licenses, health plans and vet med management.
- Attention to detail, responsibility for animal health and welfare, apptitude for tidyness and maintaining pleasant surroundings for people and animals.
- People person able to motivate, organise and lead volunteers and students.
- Willing to take responsibility and improve the commercial results of the farm.
- Self motivated able to work on own initiative and report into Director as needed / weekly.
Salary negotiable depending upon experience. Accommodation suitable for single person available on the farm. Bungalow suitable for a family could be made available at our other farm Aldenham Country Park - 20 miles journey though.
For more information please email a CV and covering letter outlining what you are looking for.
Finish: Not Specified
We have static caravan accommodation on the farm suitable for a single person. We could make available a bungalow on the other farm we run that is suitable for a family but is 20 miles journey.
Farm Shop in the Village
Full UK Driving Licence