Calf rearer, milker, and general farm worker looking for livestock farm work in the UK.
Based in Somerset, but happy to move anywhere with accommodation.
Looking for temporary work, as I am due to start studying Veterinary Medicine in September, 2021.
Biology - A*, Chemistry - A*, History - A
Biology (9), English Literature (9), History (9), Religious Studies (9), Chemistry (8), Computer Science (8), English Language (8), Maths (8), Physics (8), German (7)
Full Car Licence
Dairy, Beef, Pig, Goat, Sheep, Lambing, Calving, Poultry
Basic tractor work: scraping yards and pulling trailers.
Calf rearing and calving across three different farm systems (600, 400 and 200 calves). Milking in 3 different herringbone parlours and 1 rotary (600, 200, 150 and 850 cows). Lambing 850 ewes on an indoor and outdoor system. Working around and moving beefstock. Smallholding pig, goat and poultry work. Tailing 5,000 lambs and general sheep work on a NZ style farm.
I enjoy going on long walks, spending time outdoors, particularly by the sea, and occasionally attempting sports such as ice-skating or surfing. I also love to bake, socialise, and read books.
Assistant Grower (06/01-present)
- Picking, planting and packing a large variety of vegetables.
- Tailing, vaccinating, castrating, worming, fly-spraying, tagging and recording 5,000 lambs.
- Moving ewes, wool handling and electric fencing alongside daily stock checks and routine tasks.
Calf Rearer (01/21 - 05/21):
600 Kiwi X cows on a 12-week spring block calving, grass-based system.
I was responsible for caring for all of the calves: ensuring they receive adequate colostrum; spotting and treating any illness promptly; keeping pens clean and bedded; mixing milk powder and feeding twice daily.
Herdsperson (11/19 - 01/21):
200 Brown Swiss autumn-calving cows. - Milking solo twice daily through a 15/30 herringbone parlour.
- Calf rearing throughout autumn.
- Sorting cattle and youngstock.
- Assisting with all day-to-day farm jobs.
Youngstock Rearer (11/20 - 01/21):
400 FR cows, split block-calving.
- Ensuring all calves were healthy and had drank from the milk machines.
- Vaccinating and disbudding calves and yearling heifers.
- Feeding out-wintered cattle.
Start: 02/08/2021 Finish: 08/09/2021
I am happy to work anywhere within the UK, so long as accommodation is provided. I can provide my own accommodation in locations in and around Somerset.