Livestock manager, interested in regenerative agricultural practices. Mixing traditional and modern farming techniques to produce quality, sustainable and environmentally friendly product.
Transport of Animals- Short Journeys- 202: Cattle & Sheep. 206: Horses
Safe use of veterinary medicines- NPTC Level 2
ATV- Lantra: Sit aside
British Wool Marketing Board- National shearing certificate, Bronze Seal
Chainsaw- NPTC: CS30 & 31, Chainsaw maintenance and Cross Cutting & Fell Small Trees
CS 38 & 39, Climb Trees and Perform Aerial Rescue & Use Chainsaw from Rope and Harness
Pesticide- NPTC: PA1 & PA6 Hand held Applicator PA2 A Boom Sprayer PA2 F Wick Type Applicator
Forest Machine ops- NPTC: 208: Tracked slewing >2.5 tonne (Excavator). Wheeled ridged >2.5 tonne (Tractor)
Wood Chipper- NPTC: Safe use of manually fed wood chipper
Brushcutter- Lantra: Maintenance & Operation
Livestock Checkers course- Lantra
First Aid- Emergency first aid at work including forestry module covering major cuts and traumas.
Power Boat- RYA Level 2 Power Boat Handling.
Cat and Genny- Locating and Avoiding Underground Services.
Hazardous Tree Assessment- Kevin Moor, Tree Fellas 1 Day course
The Open University- Environmental Management and Technology (BSc), 2012 2022 (Ongoing)
A Level- Design (C) English (C) Physics (D) GCSE- 9 at Grade A C including: English, Maths and Science
Current clean driving licence including B + E towing trailers up to 3.5 tonne.
Full Car Licence
Tractor, Baler, PA1, PA2, Tracked Machine, Telehandler/Fork Lift, 360 Ticket, Fencing
Sheep, Lambing, Calving
- Large amount of tractor and implement experience including forage production (mowing, tedding, baling and wrapping). Experienced driving large 50kph tractors and trailers on and off road.
- Daily use of telehandler
- Lots of excavator experience working of large scale habitat restoration projects.
- Experienced using forestry equipment (felling heads, forwarders and forestry winches.
-Pesticide application experience including spot spraying, weed wiping and boom spraying in nature conservation settings
2017 - present; Managing livestock operations for local Wildlife Trusts, currently lambing flock of 500 and calving herd of 130. Good understanding and responsible for cross compliance, agri-environment schemes and legal obligations. Experience using modern stock handling systems. Good working dogs.
2017 - present; Self employed contract shepherding and stock work including shepherding and shearing on large lowland commercial flocks and gathering remote hill flocks on the west cost of Scotland.
- Conservation grazing officer, Essex Wildlife Trust; Responsible for all day to day management of 500 lambing ewes and 130 calving cattle, responsible for all livestock related cross compliance and delivering agri-environment/site management objectives. Line manage grazing assistances.
- Self-employed Shepherd, January 2017 Present - Working for various sheep farmers across the UK with flocks ranging from 200 to 3000 ewes including large hill farms on the West Coast of Scotland- Use of modern mobile handling, weighing and drafting equipment. - Carrying out administration of veterinary medications. - Vaccinating/ Worming / Dipping ewes and lambs. - Contract crutching and shearing to high standard. - Lambing both inside and outside. - Manage 500 1000 head of sheep on keep October March . - Good working dogs.
Assistant Reserves Manager, Breckland (part time), January 2017 2019 - Managing a team undertaking practical reserve management across Brecks heaths, fens, mires and reed beds. - Carrying out day to day management of livestock including; Dartmoor Ponies, British White Cattle, Shetland and Black Welsh Mountain Sheep to high welfare standards. - Undertaking successful Countryside Stewardship applications and works, ensuring all relevant cross compliance is adhered to. - Ensure work place health and safety is maintained and all relevant documents are up to date. - Manage annual budgets. - Operating a variety of machinery including, Tractors, Quad Bikes, Excavators, Chainsaws, Brush cutters, Welders and other workshop equipment. - Line managing staff and volunteers. - Supervising contractors and liaising with various partners across the county. - Collecting biological data and other survey works. - Using GIS software (Arc map, map info & QGIS) to produce maps, records and displaying GPS data.
Start: 18/01/2022 Finish: Not Specified